As of version 0.3.1, an URBANopt™ installer (Ubuntu 18.04) is available to install the URBANopt CLI, Ruby 2.5.x, and OpenStudio SDK at the same time. If you’d rather install the dependencies manually, view the manual install section below.
For CLI usage examples, see our usage examples page
Download the desired version of the .deb package.
This will install to
To run the UrbanOpt CLI, first run the
setup-env.shscript that generates environmental variables and stores these in
env_uo.shin your home directory.
/usr/local/urbanopt-cli-X.X.X/setup-env.sh . ~/.env_uo.sh
- When launching new shell terminals, run
. ~/.env_uo.shto setup the environment.
Linux installation has not been tested exhaustively. Please submit a bug report via the Github issue page if you run into installation errors
- Install Ruby 2.5 (anything in the 2.5.x range will work). We recommend using rbenv to manage and install Ruby 2.5
- Install rbenv on your system
- Install your desired Ruby version
- Do not forget the
rbenv initstep of rbenv installation
- Once installed, you may check which versions of Ruby have been installed and which one is active with:
- Set your current directory to use Ruby 2.5.x with:
rbenv local 2.5.x
- Full documentation for rbenv can be found at the rbenv github site
Install Bundler version 2.1:
gem install bundler -v 2.1
Install OpenStudio 3.1.0
OpenStudio is designed to be used on Ubuntu 18.04. For other Ubuntu versions, see the troubleshooting page.
RUBYLIBenvironment variable path pointing to OpenStudio Ruby location by pasting the following line into your
.zshenvor similar file:
(where X.X.X is the OpenStudio version installed)
Install the URBANopt Command Line Interface (CLI):
gem install urbanopt-cli
View available CLI commands with:
For detailed instructions, see the usage examples page.
As of version 0.4.0, the URBANopt CLI includes DiTTo/OpenDSS support. Since this functionality is implemented in Python, a different set of dependencies must be installed in order to use it.
If you’d like to use this functionality, follow the OpenDSS installation instructions.